Pavement smoothness directly affects ride comfort. The public demands good ride quality, agencies want good pavement smoothness specifications, and contractors want to do the best job possible to lower their bids and/or maximize incentive. Transtec knows the tools and best practices to meet these demands.
Pavement Profile Evaluation Services
- Analysis of pavement profile data
- Troubleshooting smoothness issues
- Optimizing corrective actions
Smooth Pavement Design and Construction Services
Some examples of how Transtec experts can help you achieve smooth pavements:
The right materials can make smoother pavements, but which ones? Together, we will find the right answer for you.
Design and construction methods for smoother pavements require a careful understanding of the materials specified. Transtec experts understand both pavement materials and pavement smoothness. We can provide superior design and construction recommendations that reduce ownership costs, increase rider comfort, and maximize pavement performance. For more information, contact us.
Pavement Grinding Optimization for Cost-effective Corrections
We can dramatically reduce diamond grinding costs by simulating the effects of grinding, and identifying how much and where it is necessary.
There is a break-even point with grinding, beyond which it is no longer cost-effective. We can show you where that point is. We can also show you how much improvement in smoothness is obtained from different grinding methods, and from grinding in different locations. The savings in grinding costs is usually far greater than the cost of this service. For more information, contact us.
Slipform Stringline Staking Optimization before Construction
Closer stringline stakes more accurately represent the paving grade, but also introduce cost and more human error. You can optimize your stringline plan and get a smoother pavement.
With our proven analysis techniques, we can work with you to review your construction plans, and provide stringline stake spacings that can maximize pavement smoothness. This service has created significant interest in the industry as a means to improve pavement smoothness prior to construction. For more information, contact us.
There are many standards related to road profiling and smoothness. Transtec can help you interpret standards and verify that requirements in the standards are met.
Common specifications include:
- AASHTO M 328-10 Standard Specification for Inertial Profiler
- AASHTO R 54-10 Standard Practice for Accepting Pavement Ride Quality When Measured Using Inertial profiling Systems
- AASHTO R 56-10 Standard Practice for Certification of Inertial Profiling Systems
- AASHTO R 57-10 Standard Practice for Operating Inertial Profiling Systems
- ASTM E1926-08 Standard Practice for Computing International Roughness Index of Roads from Longitudinal Profile Measurements
Best Practices for Smooth Pavements
Whether you are an agency or a contractor, workshops are tailored to your needs and can cover design considerations as well as construction best practices. Workshops can also include a review of the specifications that govern in your area. Workshops are available in lengths from 30 minutes to 6 hours, and may qualify for continuing education or professional development credits.
- Best practices for constructing smoother concrete and/or asphalt pavements
- Accurate profile data collection, analysis, and reporting
- How to meet agency-specific pavement smoothness specifications
ProVAL Training (Half or Full Day)
ProVAL is the most widely used engineering software application to view and analyze pavement profiles. It is easy to use, yet powerful to perform many types of profile analyses.
- Basic software operation and profile analysis
- Advanced analysis techniques and software training including the Smoothness Module (SAM) and grinding simulation
- Hands-on exercises and real-world examples